OCTOBER 16

Yesterday was the best so far! A friend came over. We had lunch and chewed through the problems of the world and industry for 3 hours. I felt so energized and alive! Afterwards I had to remind myself that I still have a long way to go and that getting over-excited might mean accidentally putting weight on my healing foot. Must be careful! My mind was telling me I was ready to move on. My body isn’t.

Since I have been cutting my pain pill dose in half, last night before bed I broke one in two... but it actually was more lopsided than that. I took the heavy side and went to sleep. This morning I took the short side and then was surprised to find PAIN. It wasn’t just a stab or two either – it was constant. Uh oh – reminder! So I took another half and am now pain free but I definitely feel the dull weight of grogginess. Agin, must remiond myself constantly to be careful! I don’t want any setbacks. While lying there waiting for the second dose to take effect I found my mind drifting to all those things I need to get done – like pool maintenance, etc. – all of which require muscle and feet. I just have to force these thoughts away for now.

This morning we go to the doctor’s for training on how to use a bone stimulator – some sort of magnetic device.

Wrong – it’s ultrasound – said to be 86% effective and speed healing by up to 40%! I will have to learn to remove my bandages – expose the black toe and wires protruding, and dose myself for 40 minutes each day. I will, but eeeuuuw. This thing is superbad ugly - and black as coal!

On the way home, Terri’s Jaguar started smoking and it looked like the radiator hose had blown. I know you don’t open the hood – not that either of us could – when it’s spewing. For a moment it occurred to me that if there were flames, I’d have to move quickly. So we called a wonderful neighbor who came to fetch me (as my pain pill was expiring) while Terri stayed with the car. AAA then sent the wrong kind of tow-truck... hey... I needed a TOE truck, and the car a... ok, never mind that.

So on top of everything else, we need to figure out how to swing another new car. Her Jag had been 'fixed' by the dealership TWICE for the same problem... days apart.