OCTOBER 21

Yesterday was a HUGE day!

1- The surgeon said things were progressing very nicely. He decided not to put me in a plaster cast, or whatever they are made of these days.
2- Since I will have to dress my – what do you call it? – surgery site? I took a long look and honestly it has apparently improved (according to both the doc and Terri). It wasn’t as bad as I expected (though still plenty gross!)
3- He gave me a walking pneumatic boot. This takes maybe 60% of the stress and distributes it better plus locks the foot bottom in a way that I cannot bend my toes which would cause damage. I can almost walk – I say almost because it’s so much higher than my other foot that it’s more a hobble, but even so, this gives me incredible mobility over the way it way (dangling.)
4- I got the okay to drive the car since I don’t use my left foot. I will try this in the next day or so – have already made sure I fit nicely behind the wheel and can access the walker in the passenger seat area. Even if I don’t really go anywhere, knowing I can is such a psychological boost!
5- I can now put my foot down when sitting, instead of straight out. This is MUCH more comfortable.
6- I’ve begun the bone growth stimulator which IS painless and said to be highly effective. To do this I needed access to the skin, which is why the undressing in #2above.

My joints are still aching from the unusual positions and stresses plus the accumulated atrophy, but now I feel that my progress is real. (* Note: while editing this for spelling, etc., I feel compelled as a good reporter to point out that I eventually 'threw' my right knee, from overcompensating. I am editing on December 17 and believe me, it can HURT. I see the doc again tomorrow and will ask about rehab for it.)

I must be very careful not to overdo it which would be a setback. And now being more comfortable and mobile, all too easy, I think.

You can't convince me that there aren't laws of nature with which we are unfamiliar.

Now that I am unable to replace them, light bulbs are burning out in our home with unusual timing. Now three bulbs are burnt out and I can get to any of them without climbing a ladder. At this rate, by the time I am ablen the house will be dark!

I use long/extended life bulbs, too!

Nor is this electrical phenomena resticted to bulbs - our newish computer router conked out yesterday!