OCTOBER 17

I am not looking forward to taking the dressing off and putting it back so I can do the ultrasound. I will, but this is SO gross. I guess you get used to it, and I have no choice. But yuk.

My muscles are really atrophying. Before the accident I was doing 1200+ pushups a week plus a bunch of other stuff which is all impossible now. My walker-muscles (shoulders, pecs?) are okay but I can see the loss of muscle tone and mass and sure do feel weak. My core conditioning is also shot and so after sleep I find the bad back is returning. Wonder if I have lost weight? I don’t think it’d be wise to stand on the scale on one foot. My balance has always been bad – now, forget it! (Later – I did manage to hop on – appears I’ve lost 7 pounds so far. But I wouldn’t recommend this as a weight-loss plan.)

Surprisingly, my appetite is good.

ONE MORE antibiotic pill to go. The last of three different prescriptions. I think they affect how I feel for the worse so it’ll be nice to climb out from under them. Even if the only net result is fewer wakeups for pills overnight, it’s a step forward.

Last night one of the pins in my toe had worked its pointy way through the covering and when I moved the foot in bed, I thought I heard shredding of sheet. Apparently it was a scrape, not a puncture and rip, but we’ll have to devise some way to cover it up better.